NEW MISSION TEMPLE CHURCH
Our Church History:
New Mission Temple was established in the 1970's when during the Southern Illinois Jurisdictional Holy Convocation our founder Elder Herbert J. Purkett Sr. recieved a call from Bishop Eleazar Lenox asking if he would pastor a church that was in need of leadership.
After prayerful consideration he accepted the call and was installed as the Pastor of the Rescue Mission Church of God In Christ by Bishop Lenox. Then after his installation he would later rename the church New Mission Temple Church Of God In Christ.
Elder Purkett Sr.'s pastoral leadership began in the basement of a house at 1610 S. St Louis with only five members and 18 children. These five members included Mother Evonia Purkett wife of Pastor Purkett Sr, Mother Rosie Martin, Mother Everlena Terry, Mother LaGroan, Mother Wright.
Pastor Purkett Sr. began his ministry through outreach and mission's ministry with the goal in drawing and winning souls to Christ. He was a firm believer that no should be lost and from that day forward the church motto became "Rescuing The Perishing". He also encouraged his congregation with anointed preaching, uplifting singing, and dedicated fasting and prayer,
On August 8th, 2009 Supt Herbert Purkett Sr. traded in his labor for reward. During New Mission's 39th Church Anniversary Jurisdictional Bishop Huge E. Cawthon installed Elder Herbert J. Purkett Jr. as the pastor of the New Mission Temple Church Of God In Christ to carry on the work and minstry of the church.
To Empower all people through preaching and teaching the holy word, Encouraging all to live a Sanctified and Holy life.
To Impact our community by demonstrating God's presence, God's love, and God's word in our everyday lives.
We Pledge to be a light to those who are lost and are without hope of Eternal life.